Hans Wirsching is located in Iphofen, Franconia and is one of the largest wineries in Germany. Although the buildings and the cellar date back to 1550, the estate wasn’t founded until 1630, when the local abbey gave the Wirsching family their first vineyards. The family has maintained their legacy through extenuating circumstances in history - the Swedish Intervention during the 30 years War, phylloxera and two World Wars, and has remained one of the oldest privately owned estates in the country. It was Andreas Wirsching in the early 1910’s who managed to save the estate and passed along his love for the land to his son Hans. Upon his father’s death, Hans inherited the estate and spearheaded several key initiatives, most notably planting new vineyards with grafted, phylloxera-resistant vines and restoring the family’s estate vineyard, the Iphoefer Julius-Echter-Berg. Hans is credited for being the first to plant Scheurebe in 1952. When Hans Wirsching Jr. passed away in 1990, Heinrich assumed responsibility of the family enterprise. Heinrich, along with his daughters represents the 14th and 15th generation of the family to preside over the winery.
Wirsching is one of the largest privately owned estates in Germany. In 1630 Hans Wirsching donated a vineyard to the Abbey at Ebrach, this sale is one of the first instances documenting the Wirsching family’s involvement in wine. Throughout the centuries the Wirsching’s have continued their love for, and involvement in, the business of agriculture and wine growing. In the late 19th century, the phylloxera plague devastated the European wine industry. Andreas Wirsching died at an early age, and his widow focused on a shop which fed children in the village. Andreas’ passing could have easily spelled the end of wine production for the Wirsching family. However, in 1918, Andreas’ son Hans Wirsching returned from World War I. Hans was only 23 at the time, but he made the decision to put all of his energy into rebuilding the vineyards. He not only restarted the winery, but also began the painstaking process of replanting the vineyards with American rootstocks. Hans obtained Scheurebe cuttings from the Annaberg in the early 1950s (like Karl Fuhrmann at Pfeffingen / Pfalz) and transplanted them in the Kronsberg vineyard. We can credit both the Wirsching and Pfeffingen estates, and their pioneering efforts, for making a place for the Scheurebe grape in German viticulture. The estate has holdings are nearly 80 hectares. They are planted 40% to Silvaner; 20% to Riesling; 8% to Pinot Blanc; 7% to Scheurebe; 7% to Pinot Noir; the remaining 18% to Traminer (planted exclusively in the Kalb vineyard).